Monday, June 19, 2006

THE BEGINNING

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” Helen Keller

What would cause a family of four with two young children, a comfortable home, secure jobs, and close family and friends to pick up everything, sell their home, take a leave of absence from their jobs, and leave their close family and friends to embark on a journey to a destination that is still partially unknown?

Is it temporary insanity? (Some might argue that.)

Is it chasing a dream? Yes, but not necessarily a specific dream to go to a specific place. Rather, a dream to do something adventurous as a family that will assist and impact the lives of others, and ours as well in the process.

Is it fate? Yes, but not a fate of random circumstance. Rather, we believe it is the fate planned for by a God who loves us as His children and creates us all with a purpose...

PSALM 139:13-18

13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous--and how well I know it.
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
17 How precious are your thoughts about me,
O God! They are innumerable!
18 I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up in the morning, you are still with me!

Over the last six months or so, we had become increasingly restless with our everyday lives. We longed to expand the definition of who we were and what we could accomplish as a family. We felt a distinct tug in our hearts towards something that seemed to be just over the horizon that had yet to come into view. We clearly felt that there was a significant change approaching us, but no idea what it could be. We began to explore avenues of potential interest, but sensed we should do something that is very difficult...wait. Most nights as we tucked the kids into bed, we would read Psalm 23 together out loud:

PSALM 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to His name.
4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for You are close beside me. Your rod and Your staff protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

And then, through various circumstance and relationships, the horizon began to come into view. We were reintroduced to an organization called Youth With A Mission (YWAM). YWAM is a non-denominational Christian organization with bases and ministries all over the world. The purpose of YWAM in a nutshell is to share the love of Christ throughout the world by helping those in need. We wondered if this could be the adventure we were craving. Through more prayer, research, practical confirmations, and confirmations of the heart, we determined this was indeed the next step in our family journey.

And so, we leave this Tuesday, June 27th, for five months. Just to add an additional layer of excitement, we have sold our house. This allows us to help fund our trip and avoid the headaches of renting the home and/or covering the upkeep and costs of the home in our absence.

The first three months of our trip will be spent in training at the YWAM base in Kona, Hawaii (yes, a very tough place to go for training). The training will be a crash course consisting partly of Bible training, language training, and other practical training for the work we will be doing. Sam and Katie will attend a school at the base while we are there to keep up with their academic work as well as training that will partially mirror ours. Even though we will be very active with the training, we will also have plenty of family time in the evenings and weekends to relax and enjoy each other (in a pretty sweet area of the world).

Following the training, there is a two-month outreach trip to a foreign country (yet to be determined for our team). This will be a time for us to use our professional abilities, natural talents, and God-given giftings to live and minister in a cross-cultural setting. Examples could include working in orphanages, building schools or churches, running sports camps, and helping in the other practical and physical needs of the people we will be living among. Sam and Katie will be with us for this portion of the trip as well and we will work side by side together as a family.

We will have internet access for at least the three months while we are in Hawaii and will plan to update this blog as regularly as possible. Please keep us in your prayers.

“The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can, pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.” J.R.R.Tolkien

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are a Christian family in Canada going to Kona this September to do a DTS so I am going to enjoy your blogsite! May you be "ruined for the ordinary".

Anonymous said...

Ben and Angie,

You are blazing a trial while showing what courage and committment looks like. Your journey is inspiring and filled with joy......

Your openness to all the possibilities is wonderous and I will follow your journey with interest.

Your children will be changed forever and pay it forward in their lifetimes.

God Bless you all.

Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Ben and Angie,
Hey maybe we should just fly Tim and Livy in to Kona as well, and then we'll all just plant a church there! Hey....maybe we really should!

Jeff Bullock

Anonymous said...

Ben, Angie, Sam, and Katie!

We are so excited for you guys! We cannot wait to read about your adventures.

Tim, Stacey, Wesley, Tesfanesh, and Chernet.

Andy and Karla said...

Best wishes in your kingdom adventure. Looking forward to picture and prose updates along the way!

Anonymous said...

Rob, Kristy and Caden said...
You are embarking on an adventure of a lifetime. We are looking forward to reading your blog and keeping up with you. You are truly an inspiration to all of us.

Rob, Kristy and Caden Alley

Anonymous said...

Ben and Angie,

All the best to you in this adventure! I look forward to reading about your time there. I did my dts in 88 in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada - Yeah, I know - not really the same as Hawaii!!! (by quite a lot!)
I believe that God will bless your willingness to do this.

Carl

Anonymous said...

Ben, Angie, Sam, and Katie,

You guys rock!

Anonymous said...

Hi Children,
You are in my prayers and thoughts constantly. I'm thrilled to know you are getting established on campus. Have a great weekend in almost Heaven and give my grandchildren a huge love for me.
Mom F

Anonymous said...

Grampa says..

Miss you all already, it's just not the same. My pitching arm is getting rusty and my back week from the lack of horsey back rides. Oh well I'll just have to survivie. I love you guy's hugs and kisses all around.

Dad F

Anonymous said...

Hey guys~

We love reading about your adventures. We are praying for you daily and are so excited for the work you are doing.

Love,
Chad and Jetta

Anonymous said...

Katie Lynn,
Auntie Stephanie misses your voice and hugs already. Sammy, Faith has been practing her running so that when you return she will be just as fast as you :-). How are the Geckos? Faith and Aus want to know if you have one for a pet yet.
Love you little pumkin heads!!!

Auntie Stephanie

J-ME said...

We miss you guys like crazy. Angie, hope you are getting your Starbucks over there. Well, who are we kidding, you are probably drinking from the Kona tap. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we love checking out your website for updates. You guys look great!
Love chris and jaimie

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben and Angie, We are really enjoying your pictures and updates. We can't wait for our turn to go this September! Our seven year old daughter loves to look at the pictures of Sam and Katie there. Have they been in the pool? May God bless you this week as you draw close to Him.

Anonymous said...

Hi my children,
Thank you so much for the upddates and sharing with us how well your are doing. I miss you so. You know how hard it was to realize we were so close to you this week? But, dad says maybe the beginning of September!!! YEA!!!
Ang, thanks for reminding me that God gives us dreams and that he wants to fulfill those dreams. WOW!!!
We left 85 degree weather yesterday in Maui and come home to gray and rain. Oh well!!
Love you and miss you so much.
I miss Sam reading to me and Katie singing to me!!!!!!!!
Ben, thanks for being the leader.
All my love,
Mom F

Anonymous said...

Hi kiddos and geckos,

Hey Sam and Katie, remember the seeds you planted in the children's garden on Father's Day? The plants are already 15" tall!!! That's almost 4" of growth per week. Ask your dad and mom to show you how tall they are with a ruler and I will also send you a picture. Wow, you are both good gardeners.

Sam your smile is wonderful without two teeth. Congratulations big guy.
Katie, your smile is as beautiful as ever. Oh how I miss you, but I am glad you are having so much fun.

I love you forever!
Grammy

Anonymous said...

Gordy spoke at church yesterday and I tell you what, he had both Drew and I praying for you guys (even though he was not talking about you directly). Even the closing song was one off of the CD Ben put together. You guys are right where God wants you and its so great to know that even though you are facing changes & challenges, God is investing in you both. He surrounded you with these people for His purpose. What you are learning and experiencing today is going to change many lives in the days and years to come. Can't wait to listen to and learn from you guys.
Stay strong and know that we are surrounding you with prayers!!!! And we won't let up :-)

Stephanie & Drew

Anonymous said...

I love following the adventures of the Wicks family! I continue to pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Ben, Angie, Sammy and Katie,
From the Keenan Family
I (Liz) just read all about your adventure. We are so happy for you guys and hope you have a great time. Although we miss you guys, we are glad that you are doing good things! It is fun to see you guys on here, can't wait to see more. Take care!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ben and Angie,
Talked to Grandpa Russ today and he told me about your adventure. Janice and I will be praying for you everyday as we do Russ and Kathy.

Ward

Anonymous said...

Is It Thanksgiving Yet????
We Sure miss you guys
Faith &Austin

Anonymous said...

Only a couple more weeks to go. Can't wait till you guys come back :) Jameson and Brendan love all the pictures of Sammy and Katie. Have safe travels.
The Keenans